Sunday, January 20, 2013

The "Decor-Whore" Shares Some Happiness

Tumblr is not only a place of angsty words spilling from the mouths of privileged teens, or incessant photos of naked women in distinctively awkward poses. It is a land of gems, just hidden gems. Hence why I still have a tumblr, even after slamming my head into my keyboard about four times whenever I scroll through and see yet another girl in a flannel shirt, holding a coffee cup, with the caption, "I just need somebody to love." YOU WON'T FIND SAID PERSON ON TUMBLR.

Well, actually, true story, a girl I knew in high school did in fact find somebody to love in this bizarre world. They're still together, too. Makes for an interesting, "And how did you two meet?" story. But this is beside the point. 

Recently, I wandered into quite a hidden treasure trove actually. Please don't dismiss this tumblr based on its name. Each interior is quality stuff. So this is to you, decor whore, and all your wonderful choices in life.

(I feel as though I should make this a running series. The hidden gems of tumblr. It's tough to find, but when you do find them, it is so worth it.)

The high ceilings are almost reminiscent of a studio, especially with them sleek appliances. But then we can see the farm-house details making an appearance, whether through the statement door at the end of the kitchen, or the paneled cupboards. The implicit contrast is endlessly pleasing. 

There's man caves, and then there's lady caves. This is an example. 

!!!!!
This is the cheeriest kitchen I've seen in a long time. Perhaps it's because of that adorable dog staring longingly into my eyes, or perhaps it's because they combined the two most pep-me-up colours known to the human eye: sunshine yellow and happy skies blue. 


A pleasant mixture of rustic and minimalist elements (aka my favourite mixture ever), and I think it was a particularly smart move to adopt the minimalist shelf against the window rather than an aged wooden one. The light coming in is left nice and pure.

Living small - fairly sure that's a washing machine or dryer. Economical! Or just a dishwasher, which may be more probable. But hey, regardless, this kitchen makes me think of baking cupcakes. Fresh, girly, retro times. 

Ah, sometimes light is the only thing you need in a room. It's just a blanket of happiness. I would feel so zen in this room, and that is not a word I regularly use (for good reason, don't wanna be the girl that always comments on the zen qualities in her life... how many people actually know what zen really means anyhow?).

An aga! I grew up with an aga. Reactions are always very perplexed as to what this odd, often colourful cube structure is doing in the kitchen. Is it... a dishwasher? Are those... cabinets? And then you take out a perfectly cooked turkey and their minds are blown. And omgthatwallpaper. Could it be any more adorable? NO. The answer is no. I'm fairly sure I would spend at least five minutes a day just taking in how pretty it looks. 

So much to look at without feeling bombarded by details. This floor is begging to have slippered feet slide across it. Doesn't this table just look like it would facilitate such artistic conversations? A clan of sculptors each making their way into the big league. 

Has anyone seen Tangled? Please don't judge me... but it was a fandiddlytastic movie. Anyway, this room is reminiscent of a modern version of the tower she was locked away in. Surprisingly full of light, with vines creeping in and potted plants. Either way, I would not mind being banished away into a room as cheerful as this. 

*m

No comments:

Post a Comment